Saturday, September 26, 2009

This is where there is no picture of a salmon

In spite of the fact that I angled the hell of a section of the Trask river just this side of Tillamook known as Hospital Hole, and a bit of the Tillamook river at bit further west of there, the only fish I caught were...

  
... Prickly Sculpin.  Annoying little bait thieves.  Oregon's answer to the Midwest's Bullhead.  I released them, but later on I came upon some locals, fishing from a public access dock who were catching lots of these... it was a pretty ghastly, genocidal scene.  Evidently, local salmon anglers have serious issues with this species. On the upside, I did personally eyewitness several large salmonids (presumably fall run Chinook, but hard to say with these glimpses) breaching in the Tillamook river.  So I know they're in there.
 
But even with no desirable catch, a day spent along a river on a beautiful September day has it's charms.  And when this is the view from your "office"...


... staying in to work is not a bad alternative. This is the view from Brewin' in the Wind, the Coffee Shop/Cafe in Oceanside where I've taken to spending my mornings working on Pylos, the play I'm collaborating on with playwright Jon Berry. (And for those of you with legitimate concerns for my scholarly productivity, this being my sabbatical and all; if you will direct your focus on the lower left quadrant of this picture, you will see the corner of a heavily notated page of the script.  I enter these notes as evidence of productivity, exhibit A.)

Have company this weekend, gotta go be sociable.

No comments:

Post a Comment