Sunday, May 25, 2014

Well That Didn't Take Long (Take 2)

The learning curve. A couple nights ago I posted a chapter entitled Well That Didn't Take Long, in which I explained that I'd received an official notification of a property code violation from the city of Bowling Green, and elaborating on my reaction to that action by the city.  Then the next morning, I removed it, because I had not done my homework before deciding how to roll with that event, and when I finally did dig a bit deeper, a better way occurred to me.  I am, let's face it, a novice at this blogging activist role, and will likely make more missteps as I navigate the learning curve.   

So: Well That Didn't Take Long (Take 2)

Got my property violation notice from BG city administration: 



Apparently already in violation, I have been notified that -apparently already in violation with no prior notice- I have until June 1st to “mow my noxious weeds” or the city will contract to have it done and charge me for it, plus a fine.

                          
 
(Look away; it's hideous, I tell you, noxiously HIDEOUS! You'll turn to stone!)

Which I pretty much figured would happen. I've just barely started the project, and without any inquiries or discussions, the city's first reaction is to deem me a "code violator" without any attempt whatsoever to inquire as to what's behind my decision to let my property go through this phase of development.

So now what? Well, in my opinion, the city's definitions of "weed", "obnoxious" and "gardening" are exceedingly vague, enforced subjectively, and thereby provide legal loopholes the size of sinkholes. (Literally. Think about it does; the city ever cite folks for the "unsightly" sinkholes on their property?) But the simple truth is that without some sort of ACLU type pro-bono legal council, I’m overwhelmingly outnumbered and under resourced, so I'm probably goin' down -eventually. But even if the eventual loss of this battle is inevitable?  Fine. This is only an exploratory skirmish, after all, the point of the spear of a movement to rewild the suburban landscape. Raising awareness has always been major force in my design, so while I may eventually be forced by the city to "mow my lawn", I can at least formally bring these ideas to their attention -and teach others how to do the same, if so inclined.

The city does have an appeals process, a way to "make my case" to a board of citizens appointed to hear property violation citation appeals.  Seems reasonable, so let's see what happens. One case comes from me; just a random boomer hippie nutcase.  But what if another comes from someone else, and another, and another...  who knows?

So watch this space! In the coming days I'll report from the front lines of "taking it up with city hall", posting links to documents, personnel and proceedings that you will likely encounter, should you decide to try to move the needle on this idea. If you know of any reporters that would like to follow this story, or a legal professional with a desire to engage in some civil, professional environmental activism, please have them get in touch.  This round ain't over yet; lets see how far I can go -or we can go, if you're ready and willing to join the mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment